1) SJBA new course on “What Buddhists Believe” will be on every Friday, 8.30pm until 23rd Aug 2013 at our Shrine Hall. This Course covers the Fundamental Concepts of Buddhism. On this coming Friday (2/8/13) Bro Ananda Fong will discuss on “More Happiness Secrets” (Note: Topic on 26/7/13 is “The Happiness Recipe” by Bro Tan Siang Chye)
2) In conjunction with the 7th Lunar Month, SJBA is organising a Pattidana (Dedication of Merits) Ceremony on 18th August 2013 for the departed ones. When those departed relatives and friends, who may been reborn in certain unfortunate state of existence, become aware that their departed relatives performing meritorious deeds dedicated to them, they can feel relief. If they rejoice repeatedly, their unhappy birth can be transformed into a happy one. It is the duty of relatives to perform acts of merits for the departed ones. The program will start at 8.00am with the offering of flowers, candles and pure water, followed by Pindahcara, chanting, Dhamma Talk, offering of requisites, dedication of merits to the departed ones and followed by Blessings by the Sangha and lunch dana. All are welcome to partake in this Pattidana
3) SJBA is celebrating our country’s 56th Merdeka Day on 31st August 2013 (Saturday), The Celebration will start with a Merdeka Breakfast at 7.45am, followed by Flag Raising Ceremony, Blessings by the Venerable Monks, cutting of Merdeka cake and fellowship. Members and devotees are invited to join us for the Celebration. To encourage our members’ children to strive for excellence in their academic performance, SJBA will present Academic Excellence Awards to students who excelled in their examinations in 2012. The Awards will be given out on Merdeka Day, 31st August 2013. For more information, please call Sis. Lily at tel. 03-56315299;
On the same day, SJBA is also organizing a Blessings Service for students sitting for UPSR, PMR, SPM, STPM, etc. examinations this year. The Blessings will be conducted by the Venerable Sangha Members.
4) This morning’s Mandarin Dhamma Talk (28 July 2013) @11.30am will be given by Ven. Zong Qian Shi (×ÚÇ§ÊÍ) on “The Six Principles of Harmony”
Shifu Zong Qian, whose maiden name is Sujata Yiddham, was born in Thailand in 1981. She graduated with a Higher Diploma in Hotel and Hospitality Programme and a Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching. In 2004, she resigned from her job and spent two years helping Venerable Dhammananda, (a Theravadian nun) in the Buddhist Woman Residence project and later became a Thai nun (mae chee).
In 2009, Shifu Zong Qian met her current Teacher, Ming Cen Shifu (Ã÷á¯Ê¦¸¸), and in 2010 became a Samaneri at Xiang Lin Lan Ruo nunnery (ÂíÀ´Î÷ÑÇÏãÁÖÀ¼ÈôËÂÔº) in Bukit Mertajam, Malaysia. She finally received her full Bhikkhuni’s ordination in 2011 at Fo Guang Shan Monastery in Taiwan.
Please invite your Mandarin speaking relatives and friends to join us. The gift of the Dhamma is the highest gift.
5) This morning’s Dhamma talk by Sis Kah Yein “An honest look at Metta”. Dr Chan Kah Yein holds a Ph.D in Mathematics Education. She is the founder of AnimalCare, a charity for stray animals. She also gives public talks on ways to lead a more spiritually fulfilling life. To date, she has written eight books and many of her talks have been produced on audio CDs, all, for free distribution. With a love for all things small and simple, her motto is to embrace simplicity and travel light in life.
May You Be Well & Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
25th July 2013