1. SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk by Ven Dhammavuddho Mahathera on 27th June 2015 (Saturday), 8.30pm at SJBA Shrine Hall. The title of the Talk is “Characteristics of a Sotapanna”.
Venerable Dhammavuddho graduated from the University Malaya in 1971, and worked as an Electrical Engineer with the Public Works Department for 12 years. He was ordained as a monk in the Mahayana tradition in 1983. Three years later, he was re-ordained in the Theravada tradition in Thailand. Thereafter, he spent about 10 years living the solitary lifestyle in quiet places. He has written numerous booklets on Buddhism, e.g. Return to the Original Buddha’s Teachings, Message of the Buddha, Buddhist Monk’s Precepts, Liberation: Relevance of Sutta-Vinaya, Only We Can Help Ourselves, etc. In 1998, he established Vihara Buddha Gotama near Temoh, in Perak. Ven. Dhammavuddho is currently a Monastic Adviser of the Theravāda Buddhist Council of Malaysia.
2. SJBA’s building extension (a new 4-storey block with basement) officially commenced works on 8 March 2015. Piling work has already been completed and excavation works for the basement are in progress now. The cost of construction of the new building is RM5 million. To-date, we have received donations of about RM 2.8 million (with another RM216,000 in pledges, not collected). We appeal for help to raise the balance in order for us to successfully complete the construction of the new building by June 2016 (contractual completion date).
3. Amongst various ways to raise funds for the construction of the new block, SJBA has an on-going “Donate a Brick” campaign. Each brick is RM100. The donors can write their name and sign on the bricks which will be used for the construction of the new block. For further information, please call Sis Lily at 03-56348181.
4. Another Temple Building Extension Fund Raising effort is through “Imee Ooi Concert – Sound of Wisdom” on 1 August 2015, Saturday, 3.00pm at Istana Budaya.
Sis Imee Ooi of “The Chant of Metta” fame as well as many other highly-praised musical works will be making a live appearance in her debut concert. A teacher, composer, producer, director and singer, Imee is serving the Dhamma with her extraordinary talent and voice. She is a Buddhist practitioner that adheres to the teachings of loving kindness, peace and harmony. Founder of IMM Musicworks in 1997, she has released more than 50 albums and has produced many musical works for many Buddhist societies and organizations. Her mission is in singing messages of peace, harmony and compassion or simply bringing healing sounds to her listeners through music.
Tickets are now available in SJBA (at RM100, RM150, RM200, RM250 and RM350). You can now have the opportunity to support the development of local Buddhist musical talents and performance arts as well as contributing to the building extension of SJBA Vihara.
5. This Sunday (28/6/15, 10am) Dhamma Talk (in English) will be given by Bro Teoh Kian Koon. Bro. Teoh Kian Koon graduated from University of Malaya in Civil Engineering in 1979. He had been a spiritual practitioner cum ‘Meditator’ since 1971. Since his retirement in 2001 from his engineering career, he has been sharing his understanding and experiences with all who are keen in the search for true happiness, peace and liberation from birth and death and all mental suffering to become a more virtuous, noble and wiser human being. He gives talks and hold meditation and Dhamma classes at various meditation centres.
6. This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “Inspirational Stories” by Sis Tan Yee Yong. Sis Tan Yee Yong graduated with Bachelor of Science in Computer Sience and MBA. She obtained MA in Buddhist Studies from IBC, Thailand. She is now a Dhamma committee member of SJBA.
这个星期日的讲题是” 人生小故事”, 讲师是陈玉容居士. 玉容居士持有科学学士学位及商业硕士学位，在商业界工作。她曾经是我们首邦再也佛教会青年组主席，及佛法小组组长 ，在学佛路上， 她持有佛教文凭及国际佛教大学佛教研究文科硕士 。目前她是我们首邦再也佛教会 佛法委会小组成员.