1) SJBA Sunday Dhamma School is organizing a Food & fun Fair on 24/8/14 (Sunday) to raise a target of RM70,000 for SJBA Building Extension Fund as well as to inculcate into the students the Buddhist value of Dana. Sponsors and volunteers interested in participating in this Food & Fun Fair are welcomed. Please contact Sis Lily at 03-56348181
2) SJBA is celebrating the country’s 57th Merdeka Day on 31st August 2014 (Sunday), The Celebration will start with a Merdeka Breakfast at 7.45am, followed by Flag Raising Ceremony, Blessings by the Venerable Monks, cutting of Merdeka cake and fellowship. Members and devotees are invited to join us for the Celebration. To encourage our members’ children to strive for excellence in their academic performance, SJBA will present Academic Excellence Awards to students who excelled in their examinations in 2013. The Awards will be given out on Merdeka Day, 31st August 2014. On the same day, SJBA is also organizing a Blessings Service for students sitting for UPSR, PMR, SPM, STPM, etc. examinations this year. The Blessings will be conducted by the Venerable Sangha Members.
3) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 19 September to 24 October 2014. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Cindy at 03-56348181 for further details.
4) In conjunction with the 3-month Vassa, Venerable Dhammapala will be conducting a Pali Sutta learning and Chanting in Pali & English on Tuesdays (except 12 Aug and 16 Sep) until 7 October 2014, 8.30pm to 10.00pm. All are welcome.
5) The Metta Class in Mandarin conducted by Ven. Dhammapala will resume next Friday, 22 Aug 2014, 8pm to 10pm.
6) SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk in Mandarin by Bro Leong Kok Hing related to Buddhist Stamps, on 21 Sept, 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Bro Leong has previously served as the President and Secretary of YBAM for 16 years. He has held many portfolios in Buddhist societies such as the Chief Editor of Buddhist Digest, the Assistant Secretary of World Fellowship of Buddhist Youth, Fo Guang International Youth Director, Vice Principal of International Buddhist College and etc. At present, he is managing General Affairs of International Buddhist College and Phor Tay Chinese Secondary School in Penang. He was conferred with the Excellent Youth Award and Youth Leader Award from the Ministry of Youth. He has been collecting stamps which has Buddhist themes for 30 years. In the eighties, his stamps have been displayed in some major Buddhist exhibitions in Penang and Kuala Lumpur with “Buddhist Travel”as its theme. He was also invited for his solo in 1990, 1992 in Fo Guang Temple at Singapore and Taiwan.
7) SJBA is sponsoring Ven. Punnavisuddhi to study his Degree & Masters in Pali at a University in Sri Lanka, RM7,000 per year for 5 years for a total of RM35,000. If you wish to partake in this dana to sponsor Ven. Punnavisuddhi in furthering his study, please contact Sis Lily at 03-56348181.
8) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, the 1st Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
9) Today’s (17/8/14, Sunday) Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “Right career in Accordance With right livelihood” by Chew Yee Yean. Sis Chew Yee Yean graduated from UKM. She is now working as a Senior Biochemist at UMMC. 今天 (17/8/14, 11.30am) 的讲题是“如何选择正当的职业?”, 讲师是周怡燕居士. 怡燕居士 毕业于马来西亚国民大学，她现今 在 马大医药中心担任高级生物化学师。在这十年以来，她志愿地帮忙与宣扬佛
10) This morning’s (17/8/14, 10.00am) Dhamma Talk in English will be given by Sayadaw U Rewata. Sayadaw U Rewata. Sayadaw U Rewata was born in 1955 in Thonse, Myanmar. He graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw U Janaka Bhivamsa. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India, etc for missionary work, teaching Metta Bhavana, Vipassana Bhavana, Suttanta Recitations, etc. He served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon in 2004 to 2006, and also has been the Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in Subang Jaya Buddhist Association to support its Dhamma missionary work