1) For this Friday’s (10 April) Introduction to Buddhism Course, the topic is “Highway to Happiness by Uncle Vijaya. On next Friday (17 April 2015), the topic is “Reaching Out in Harmony” by Datuk Charlie Chia. The session will start at 8.30pm to 10pm at SJBA Shrine Hall. All are welcome.
2) SJBA’s building extension (a new 4-storey block with basement) has officially commenced works on 8 March 2015. Amongst various ways to raise funds for the construction of the new block, SJBA has an on-going “Donate a Brick” campaign. Each brick is RM100. The donors can write their name and sign on the bricks which will be used for the construction of the new block. For further information, please call Sis Lily at 01-56348181.
3) Another Temple Building Extension Fund Raising effort is through “Imee Ooi Concert – Sound of Wisdom” on 1 August 2015, Saturday, 3.00pm at Istana Budaya. Sis Imee Ooi of “The Chant of Metta” fame as well as many other highly-praised musical works will be making a live appearance in her debut concert. A teacher, composer, producer, director and singer, Imee is serving the Dhamma with her extraordinary talent and voice. She is a Buddhist practitioner that adheres to the teachings of loving kindness, peace and harmony. Founder of IMM Musicworks in 1997, she has released more than 50 albums and has produced many musical works for many Buddhist societies and organizations. Her mission is in singing messages of peace, harmony and compassion or simply bringing healing sounds to her listeners through music.
Tickets are now available in SJBA (at RM100, RM150, RM200, RM250 and RM350). You can now have the opportunity to support the development of local Buddhist musical talents and performance arts as well as contributing to the building extension of SJBA Vihara.
4) SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk “The forests are peaceful, why aren’t you?” by Ven. Dr. Sangharatana Nayaka Maha Thera on 14th April 2015, 8.30pm. Venerable Sangharatana is the Chief Abbot of the Pitaramba Temple in
Bentota, Sri Lanka and the founder of the Bentota Buddhist Social Welfare Institution. Through these organizations, village socio-welfare programs such as English library, free tuition classes, training programs for pre-school teachers and interest free micro credit for cottage industries and entrepreneurship are conducted to uplift the rural community.
Soon after the Tsunami disaster in 2004, he worked for the affected people in Bentota and built a housing scheme for them. Then after he opened one daycare center for the benefit of needy people around there under the name of Paramita.
The Venerable has authored several books. Amongst them are How to See the Living Buddha (poems), Maharashta Buddhist in India and Buddhism – The Thirst Quencher.
5) Our Puja Session in Mandarin (11.30am-12.30pm) will be off until 19 April 2015. 6) This year’s Wesak day falls on 3rd May 2015. Our Wesak Celebration will start on Wesak Eve, 2nd May with lighting of Blessings Oil Lamps at 7.30pm followed by Wesak Eve Buddha Puja, Dhamma Talk, Procession Round the Vihara and Bodhi Tree, Chanting and Meditation.
On Wesak Day, Puja Service will commence at 8.00am followed by the official launching of the Wesak Day Celebration at 9.45am. Blessings Service will be carried by the Maha Sangha.
On this Wesak Day, everyone has the opportunity to do good deeds of great merits by contributing to build our temple extension.
From 11.00am to 2.00pm, vegetarian food will be provided. There will be a Blood Donation & Organ Pledge Campaign, Free Health Check.
We need around 200 volunteer helpers to help organize all these activities. Please
register yourselves by writing your name at our Notice Board or call Sis. Lily at Tel. 03-56315299.