Venerable Dhammavuddho graduated from the University Malaya in 1971, and worked as an Electrical Engineer with the Public Works Department for 12 years. He was ordained as a monk in the Mahayana tradition in 1983. Three years later, he was re-ordained in the Theravada tradition in Thailand. Thereafter, he spent about 10 years living the solitary lifestyle in quiet places. He has written numerous booklets on Buddhism, e.g. Return to the Original Buddha’s Teachings, Message of the Buddha, Buddhist Monk’s Precepts, Liberation: Relevance of Sutta-Vinaya, Only We Can Help Ourselves, etc. In 1998, he established Vihara Buddha Gotama near Temoh, in Perak. Ven. Dhammavuddho is currently a Monastic Adviser of the Theravāda Buddhist Council of Malaysia.
2. SJBA’s building extension (a new 4-storey block with basement) officially commenced works on 8 March 2015. Piling work has already been completed and excavation works for the basement will be starting soon. The cost of construction of the new building is RM5 million. To-date, we have received donations of about RM 2.75 million (with another RM216,000 in pledges, not collected). We appeal for help to raise the balance in order for us to successfully complete the construction of the new building by June 2016 (contractual completion date).
3. Amongst various ways to raise funds for the construction of the new block, SJBA has an on-going “Donate a Brick” campaign. Each brick is RM100. The donors can write their name and sign on the bricks which will be used for the construction of the new block. For further information, please call Sis Lily at 03-56348181.
4. Another Temple Building Extension Fund Raising effort is through “Imee Ooi Concert – Sound of Wisdom” on 1 August 2015, Saturday, 3.00pm at Istana Budaya.
Sis Imee Ooi of “The Chant of Metta” fame as well as many other highly-praised musical works will be making a live appearance in her debut concert. A teacher, composer, producer, director and singer, Imee is serving the Dhamma with her extraordinary talent and voice. She is a Buddhist practitioner that adheres to the teachings of loving kindness, peace and harmony. Founder of IMM Musicworks in 1997, she has released more than 50 albums and has produced many musical works for many Buddhist societies and organizations. Her mission is in singing messages of peace, harmony and compassion or simply bringing healing sounds to her listeners through music.
Tickets are now available in SJBA (at RM100, RM150, RM200, RM250 and RM350). You can now have the opportunity to support the development of local Buddhist musical talents and performance arts as well as contributing to the building extension of SJBA Vihara.
5. This Sunday (21/6/15, 10am) Dhamma Talk (in English) on “Happiness” will be given by Bro Tan Siang Chye. Bro. Siang Chye graduated from Kent Institute, UK and with a Master degree from Massey University, New Zealand. He was a former Chairman of the Buddhist Missionary Youth Section and also the parent body, BMSM for one session. He is a striving meditator and has practised under several prominent meditation teachers locally and in New Zealand. Bro. Siang Chye is currently the Chairman of the Dhamma Committee of SJBA.
6. This Sunday’s Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “How to Take Care of Your Wellbeing – based on TCM” by Brother Chong Yuan Foong. Brother Chong Yuan Foong graduated from Hei Long Jiang University of Chinese Medicine, majoring in Acupuncture and Inner Medicine. He is now practicing at RenKang TCM Clinic in Klang and KL Karma Kagju Dharma Society as a volunteer TCM Master.
这个星期日的讲题是” 养生”, 讲师是庄源芳居士.源芳居士持有黑龙江中医学位,主修针灸与内科，现在巴生任钢中医诊所及金刚佛学会担任义务中医师.