(1) In conjunction with the Mid-Autumn Festival, SJBA is organizing a Mooncake Family Night this Saturday, 10 September 2016. It will be a fun-filled night to celebrate with family. In line with SJBA’s effort in promoting a caring and compassionate community, we have invited children from Persatuan Kebajikan Kanak-kanak Kurang Upaya (P3KU) to join us in our celebration.
Please remember to bring your lantern along for the traditional lantern procession round the temple to end the night. DINNER WILL BE SERVED, however we encourage you to bring some desserts to share with everyone. Please bring your family and friends to SJBA on Saturday, 10 September 2016, 7.00pm to join us in our fun-filled celebration.
(2) SJBA will be organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 23 September to 28 October 2016. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Cindy at 03-56348181 for further details.
(3) Venerable Sujatha will be coming back to lead in a Night of Spiritual Cultivation in SJBA on 21 September, 8.30pm. Venerable Sujatha entered the monastery at the age of 11 and graduated from the Subodharama International Monk Training Center. In 1993, he left Sri Lanka for Australia, where he taught meditation and Buddhism at the Sri Lankarama Buddhist Monastery in Brisbane. In 1997, he helped establish the Great Lakes Buddhist Vihara in Southfield, Michigan.
In 2002, Venerable Sujatha was invited to start meditation classes at both Congregational Unitarian Church in Woodstock, Illinois and McHenry County College. Soon after, Venerable Sujatha founded the Blue Lotus Buddhist Temple in Woodstock, Illinois, at the premises where the Congregational Unitarian Church once stood. As the Abbot of Blue Lotus Buddhist Temple, Venerable Sujatha travels around USA and abroad to teach the Buddha Dhamma and Meditation, and regularly devotes his time in Sri Lanka in aid of several missionary and charity projects.
Venerable Sujatha has been a Buddhist Monk for over 30 years, and is singularly focused on adding more love and bringing happiness in the world. He teaches loving-kindness meditation to people around the globe for all those seeking the art of happiness and contentment. His approach to meditation is deep and profound, yet simple and practical, bringing core Buddhist teachings to everyone in a way that is practical and easy to understand. A joyful, radiant, funny and wildly energetic monk, Venerable Sujatha will help anyone obtain peace and tranquility that can only be found in deep silence.
(4) This Sunday Dhamma Talk (11/9/16, 10am) will be given by U Pannasara who is staying in SJBA Vihara for the Vassa. Sayadaw U Pannasara was in Myanmar in 1972. He was ordained at the age of 20 in Khun Taung Gyi. After passing his Buddhist Scriptures and Buddhist Scripture education (Dhammacariya) in 2003, he practised Vipassana Meditation at the Mahasi Meditation Centre under the guidance of Ven. Nayaka Sayadaw Jatila. He graduated from the Mahasi Training School for foreign Buddhist Mission.
Sayadaw U Pannasara has been teaching the Dhamma and Vipassana Meditation in Thailand and at the Lunas Hermitage, Kedah.
(5) The Sunday Dhamma Talk in Mandarin will be off for two Sundays and will resume on 25 September 2016