1) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 19 September to 24 October 2014. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. The session this Friday (3 Oct) will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya and the topic is “Beginning and Ending of the Worlds”. On next Friday (10 Oct), the topic is “Living, Dying, Going Beyond” by Uncle Vijaya.
2) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on Sunday, 26th October 2014. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season). The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (25th October 2014) with Taking The Three Refuges & Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits. On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
3) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, a Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
4) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat at SJBA will be from 12th to 22nd December 2014. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre. If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
5) This Sunday’s (5/10/14, 10.00am) Chanting and Meditation will be led by Sayadaw U Rewata. Sayadaw U Rewata was born in 1955 in Thonse, Myanmar. He graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw U Janaka Bhivamsa. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India, etc for missionary work, teaching Metta Bhavana, Vipassana Bhavana, Suttanta Recitations, etc. He served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon in 2004 to 2006, and also has been the Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in Subang Jaya Buddhist Association to support its Dhamma missionary work
6) This Sunday’s (5/10/14) Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “How to deal with crisis” by Sis Wong Suh Chuen. Sis. Suh Chuen graduated with Bachelor of Science in Applied Science from TAR College and Masters in Technology (Environment Management) from University Malaya. She is an Environmental Consultant. She was the Dhammaduta Head of TAR College Buddhist Society and former Honorary Secretary of Kinrara Metta Buddhist Society (KMBS). Curretly, Sis. Suh Chuen teaches Sunday Dhamma class for adults at KMBS. 这个星期日的讲题是”危机关头,如何面对?”, 讲师是黄淑娟居士黄淑娟居士毕业于拉曼学院, 持有 应用科学 学士学位及马来亚大学的科技(环境管理)硕士学位。她现今是一位环境顾问，注册于马来西亚环境部门。淑娟居士，出生于砂朥越州，在中学求学时，已开始学佛。她曾经是拉曼学院佛学会弘组主任和 Kinrara Metta Buddhist Society 的前任名誉秘书。目前，她志愿地为Kinrara Metta Buddhist Society 的成年人周日佛学班，分享佛法。.