1) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 19 September to 24 October 2014. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. The session this Friday (10 Oct) will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya and the topic is “Living, Dying, Going Beyond”. On next Friday (17 Oct), the topic is “Living Harmoniously with Nature” by Bro. Charlie Chia.
2) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on Sunday, 26th October 2014. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season). The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (25th October 2014) with Taking The Three Refuges & Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits. On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
3) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, the 1st Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
4) This year’s Educare Program in SJBA will be held on 14th December 2014. It will be the 8th anniversary of the Program in SJBA. For the last 7 years, we have been providing needy students with school items to start the new school term. It is expected that about 500 to 600 needy students will receive the school items this year. Each student will receive a full set of school items which consists of school bags, shoes, books, stationary, etc. which costs about RM100.00. The amount may not be a lot but it is a simple yet significant gesture of ours to show our care and concern to poor students. We hope that through this simple but sincere gesture, the students are motivated to study better and achieve academic success and eventually success in life. This noble task can be achieved with the continuous support of generous Donors. If you wish to contribute this year to the Educare Program to support the needy students, please contact Sis Lily at Tel. 03-56315299.
5) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat at SJBA will be from 12th December 2013 to 22nd December 2014. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre. If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
6) This Sunday’s (12/10/14, 10.00am) Dhamma Talk on “Developing Knowledge” will be given by Bro Tan Siang Chye. Bro. Siang Chye graduated from Kent Institute, UK and with a Master degree from Massey University, New Zealand. He was a former Chairman of the Buddhist Missionary Youth Section and also the parent body, BMSM for one session. He is a striving meditator and has practised under several prominent meditation teachers locally and in New Zealand. Bro. Siang Chye is currently the Chairman of the Dhamma Committee of SJBA.
7) This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “Meeting with Uncertainty” by Chew Yee Yean. Sis Chew Yee Yean graduated from UKM. She is now working as a Senior Biochemist at UMMC. 这个星期日的讲题是“如何面对变幻莫测的无常”, 讲师是周怡燕居士. 怡燕居士 毕业于马来西亚国民大学，她现今 在 马大医药中心担任高级生物化学师。在这十年以来，她志愿地帮忙与宣扬佛法等义务，希望能增进大家对佛法的认识与了解.