1) SJBA is celebrating our country’s 56th Merdeka Day on 31st August 2013 (Saturday), The Celebration will start with a Merdeka Breakfast at 7.45am, followed by Flag Raising Ceremony at 8.30am, Blessings by the Venerable Monks, cutting of Merdeka cake and fellowship. Members and devotees are invited to join us for the Celebration. The occasion will be graced by the Speaker of the Selangor State Assembly, YB Hannah Yeoh. To encourage our members’ children to strive for excellence in their academic performance, SJBA will present Academic Excellence Awards to students who excelled in their examinations in 2012. The Awards will be given out on Merdeka Day, 31st August 2013. For more information, please call Sis. Lily at tel. 03-56315299;
On the same day, SJBA is also organizing a Blessings Service for students sitting for UPSR, PMR, SPM, STPM, and other examinations this year. The Blessings will be conducted by the Venerable Sangha Members.
2) SJBA will be organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 13 September to 18 October 2013. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Cindy at 03-56348181 for further details.
3) As another community service, SJBA will jointly organize with the Jawatankuasa Penduduk Subang Jaya-MPSJ Zon 1 to provide 1-day Traditional Chinese Medicine Service to the public FOC on 14th September 2013, at the SS15 MPSJ Multi-purpose Hall from 9am to 3pm. Experienced Chinese Physicians qualified in Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatment will give treatment to those with certain sicknesses and bodily ache/pain, including diagnosis, acupuncture or other treatment, and medicine. Members, devotees and members of the public are invited to come for this day of FOC Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatment, which will be given on a first-come-first-serve basis up to a maximum of 80 patients only.
4) SJBA is organizing a Family Night of Joy and Fellowship on 14th September 2013 in conjunction with the Lantern Festival, to promote fellowship amongst our devotees. Activities include lantern procession round the temple playground and performances. Children from orphanages as well as guests from the Old Folks Home will be invited. Members and devotees will get the opportunity to perform Dana by fulfilling the wishes of these underprivileged children. This is a Family Night, so please bring along your family and friends as well to participate in all the fun/joy activities planned for you.. Dinner will be served. You may also bring your food to share with others.
5) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat will be held at SJBA from 6th December 2013 to 15th December 2013. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre.
Sayadaw U Sobhita has taught meditation in many places including the well-known Mahasi Meditation Centre in Burma. He has been an Assistant to the Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw (Sayadaw U Janakabhivamsa) since 1988. He travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia frequently to conduct meditation retreats.
Sayadaw U Rewata graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India for missionary works and teaching meditation. He has served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon and Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in SJBA to support its Dhamma missionary work.
If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
6) This Sunday’s Mandarin Dhamma Talk at 11.30am (1/9/13) will be by Sis Tan Yee Yong. The topic is “Contemplation on Death”.
7) This Sunday, Sayadaw U Rewata will lead us in chanting and meditation, with a short Dhamma Talk.
May You Be Well & Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
29th August 2013
“SJBA – Your Friendly and Caring Dhamma Centre”