1) SJBA is hosting a Musical Show on 16th November 2013 at the KL PAC, Sentul, to raise funds for our building extension. This delightful musical is produced by the famous Asia Musical Productions (the award-winning team of “Siddhartha The Musical” and “Princess Wen Cheng”) featuring some of the best talents in Malaysia’s arts and entertainment scene. Tickets are sold at RM120, RM180, RM250 and RM400. Sponsors of RM5,000 will be given a VVIP seat, a plaque and engraving of their names in the new building’s Donors Board. You may get the tickets at SJBA Office (please contact Sis Lily, 03-56315299 or Bro Lim Mong Seng, 012-2131686. For sponsorship, please contact Bro Peter Chew, 012-2259003.
2) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 13 September to 18 October 2013. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. The topic this Friday (11/10/13) is “Perfect Mind for Perfect Health” by Bro Charlie Chia. (Note: Topic “No man is an Island” by Uncle Vijaya on 4/10/13).
3) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on Sunday, 27th October 2013. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season). The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (26th October 2013) with Taking The Three Refuges & Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits. On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
4) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat will be held at SJBA from 6th December 2013 to 15th December 2013. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre, and SJBA Abbot, Ven. Nyanaramsi.
Sayadaw U Sobhita has taught meditation in many places including the well-known Mahasi Meditation Centre in Burma. He has been an Assistant to the Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw (Sayadaw U Janakabhivamsa) since 1988. He travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia frequently to conduct meditation retreats.
Sayadaw U Rewata graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India for missionary works and teaching meditation. He has served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon and Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in SJBA to support its Dhamma missionary work.
Ven. Nyanramsi was an accountant before he was ordained in 1995 at Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre, Yangon with Chanmyay Sayadaw, Ven. U Jananakabhivamsa, as his preceptor. Ven. Nyanaramsi moved to Hmawbi branch in 1996 and continued his training under Chanmyay Myaing Sayadaw U Indaka (former abbot of Hmawbi Branch) and other resident Sayadaws. He spent 9 vassas in Myanmar. In late 2003, he accepted an invitation from SJBA to return to Malaysia to teach Dhamma and Satipatthana Meditation to Malaysian Buddhists. He is now the Chief Abbot of SJBA. He travels frequently to Thailand, Taiwan, Myanmar and Indonesia to conduct meditation retreats.
If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
5) Today’s Mandarin Dhamma Talk at 11.30am (6/10/13) will be by Sis Yee Yean. The topic is “Buddhist Family”. Sis Yee Yean graduated from UKM, and now working as senior biochemist in UMMC. She has been involved in Damma work for more than 10 years. 6) This morning’s chanting and meditation will be led by Sayadaw U Rewata. Sayadaw U Rewata was born in 1955 in Thonse, Myanmar. He graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw U Janaka Bhivamsa. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India, etc for missionary work, teaching Metta Bhavana, Vipassana Bhavana, Suttanta Recitations, etc. He served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon in 2004 to 2006, and also has been the Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in Subang Jaya Buddhist Association to support its Dhamma missionary work.
May You Be Well & Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
3rd October 2013
“SJBA – Your Friendly and Caring Dhamma Centre”