1) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on this Sunday, 27th October 2013. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season). The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (26th October 2013) with Taking of The Three Refuges Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk by Sayadaw U Rewata, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits.
On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
2) SJBA is hosting a Musical Show on 16th November 2013 at the KL PAC, Sentul, to raise funds for our building extension. This delightful musical is produced by the famous Asia Musical Productions (the award-winning team of Siddhartha The Musical and Princess Wen Cheng) featuring some of the best talents in Malaysia’s arts and entertainment scene. Tickets are sold at RM120, RM180, RM250 and RM400. Sponsors of RM5,000 will be given a VVIP seat, a plaque and engraving of their names in the new building’s Donors Board. You may get the tickets at SJBA Office (please contact Sis Lily, 03-56315299 or Bro Lim Mong Seng, 012-2131686. For sponsorship, please contact Bro Peter Chew, 012-2259003.
3) There will be a Talk by Venerable Bhikkhu Sanghasena this Wednesday, 30th October 2013 at 8.00pm. The Venerable was born in the Himalayan region of Ladakh. He was brought up in a religious family of Buddhists. At the age of seventeen, he joined the Indian Army where he was imbued with a strong sense of discipline. In 1977 he answered the spiritual call and left the army and became a disciple of the famed Venerable Acharya Buddharakkhita Mahathera of the Maha Bodhi Society, Bangalore, India. He undertook studies in the Dhamma and practised various methods of Buddhist meditation.
In 1986,Venerable Sanghasena founded the Mahabodhi International Meditation Centre (MIMC) in Ladakh. Since then he has worked tirelessly to put loving-kindness and compassion into action through various charitable and humanitarian services in the more than 200 acres of desert that is the Devachan campus at Choglamsar, Ladakh. Today MIMC is one of the leading NGOs in the Himalayan region.
For his selfless service, Venerable Sanghasena was presented with the National Award for the Welfare of People with Disabilities by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India; Peace Award for the Year 2004 by The Gandhi Peace Foundation; Man of the Year 2002 by the American Biographical Institute, Inc.; Peace Environment Award by the United Nations, amongst numerous accolades.
4) This year’s Educare Program in SJBA will be held on 15th December, to provide needy students with school items to start the new school term. It is expected that about 500 to 600 needy students will receive the school items. Each student will receive a full set of school items which consists of school bags, shoes, books, stationary, etc. which costs about RM108.00. The amount may not be a lot but it is a simple yet significant gesture of ours to show our care and concern to poor students. We hope that through this simple but sincere gesture, the students are motivated to study better and achieve academic success and eventually success in life.
This meritorious deed can be achieved with the support of generous Organizations, Donors, Devotees and Well Wishers. Your support and contributions to support one or more of the students would be much appreciated.
5) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat will be held at SJBA from 6th December 2013 to 15th December 2013. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre, and SJBA Abbot, Ven. Nyanaramsi.
Sayadaw U Sobhita has taught meditation in many places including the well-known Mahasi Meditation Centre in Burma. He has been an Assistant to the Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw (Sayadaw U Janakabhivamsa) since 1988. He travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia frequently to conduct meditation retreats.
Sayadaw U Rewata graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India for missionary works and teaching meditation. He has served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon and Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in SJBA to support its Dhamma missionary work.
Ven. Nyanramsi was an accountant before he was ordained in 1995 at Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre, Yangon with Chanmyay Sayadaw, Ven. U Jananakabhivamsa, as his preceptor. Ven. Nyanaramsi moved to Hmawbi branch in 1996 and continued his training under Chanmyay Myaing Sayadaw U Indaka (former abbot of Hmawbi Branch) and other resident Sayadaws. He spent 9 vassas in Myanmar. In late 2003, he accepted an invitation from SJBA to return to Malaysia to teach Dhamma and Satipatthana Meditation to Malaysian Buddhists. He is now the Chief Abbot of SJBA. He travels frequently to Thailand, Taiwan, Myanmar and Indonesia to conduct meditation retreats.
If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
May You Be Well Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
25th October 2013