1) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 19 September to 24 October 2014. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Cindy at 03-56348181 for further details.
2) There will be Dhamma Talk by Bro. Jeff Oliver on 21 Sept, 10am at SJBA Shrine Hall. Bro Jeff Oliver is a dynamic and creative meditation teacher from Australia. He has been practicing Vipassana Meditation for about 19 years, eight of which he was ordained as a Buddhist Monk in the Burmese tradition. Jeff has shared practical life skills and ‘mind management’ in many areas of the world including Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe including Turkey. Jeff’s teachings are based on both ancient and modern ways of mind training especially, such as appreciation, forgiveness, “metta” unconditional love, concentration, awareness and wisdom. Basically, Jeff is offering us a ‘toolbox’ of techniques to be used both in formal, intensive meditation and in any situation during our busy and complicated daily life. His style is open, approachable, friendly and gentle yet very effective for the modern seeker of truth.
3) SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk in Mandarin by Bro Leong Kok Hing related to Buddhist Stamps, on 21 Sept, 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Bro Leong has previously served as the President and Secretary of YBAM for 16 years. He has held many portfolios in Buddhist societies such as the Chief Editor of Buddhist Digest, the Assistant Secretary of World Fellowship of Buddhist Youth, Fo Guang International Youth Director, Vice Principal of International Buddhist College and etc. At present, he is managing General Affairs of International Buddhist College and Phor Tay Chinese Secondary School in Penang. He was conferred with the Excellent Youth Award and Youth Leader Award from the Ministry of Youth. He has been collecting stamps which has Buddhist themes for 30 years. In the eighties, his stamps have been displayed in some major Buddhist exhibitions in Penang and Kuala Lumpur with “Buddhist Travel”as its theme. He was also invited for his solo in 1990, 1992 in Fo Guang Temple at Singapore and Taiwan.
4) SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk by Venerable Sujatha on 24 Sept 2014, Wednesday, 8.30pm to 10.00pm. Venerable Sujatha entered the monastery at the age of 11 and graduated from the Subodharama International Monk Training Center. In 1993, he left Sri Lanka for Australia, where he taught meditation and Buddhism at the Sri Lankarama Buddhist Monastery in Brisbane. In 1997, he helped establish the Great Lakes Buddhist Vihara in Southfield, Michigan. In 2002, Venerable Sujatha was invited to start meditation classes at both Congregational Unitarian Church in Woodstock, Illinois and McHenry County College. Soon after, Venerable Sujatha founded the Blue Lotus Buddhist Temple in Woodstock, Illinois, at the premises where the Congregational Unitarian Church once stood. As the Abbot of Blue Lotus Buddhist Temple, Venerable Sujatha travels around USA and abroad to teach the Buddha Dhamma and Meditation, and regularly devotes his time in Sri Lanka in aid of several missionary and charity projects. Venerable Sujatha has been a Buddhist Monk for over 30 years, and is singularly focused on adding more love and bringing happiness in the world. He teaches loving-kindness meditation to people around the globe for all those seeking the art of happiness and contentment. His approach to meditation is deep and profound, yet simple and practical, bringing core Buddhist teachings to everyone in a way that is practical and easy to understand. A joyful, radiant, funny and wildly energetic monk, Venerable Sujatha will help anyone obtain peace and tranquility that can only be found in deep silence.
5) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, the 1st Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual
Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
6) This Sunday’s (14/9/14) Dhamma Talk in English (at 10am) will be given by Venerable Dhammapala. Ven. Dhammapala graduated in Pali and Buddhist Studies from the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka and received his Doctorate from the University of Hong Kong. He has been lecturing in the University of Hong Kong and has presented a number of papers. He is currently the Spritual Director of Buddhistdoor. Vice Chairman of the Hong Kong University Centre of Buddhist Studies Alumini Association and Director of a few Buddhist-based organisations
7) This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “Being Good” by Sis Lim Chye Hong. Sis Lim Chye Hong is a member of the SJBA Dhamma Committee. She helps regularly in meditation retreats. She has been a Secondary School teacher for over 20 years. 这个星期日的讲题是” 众善奉行”, 讲师是彩虹居士. 自2002年以来，彩虹居士是我们首邦再也佛教会 佛法委会小组成员。一直以来，本会 所举办的禅修营，她都在出力帮忙， 负责厨房和修禅者所需。她也是一位中学老师，已经职教了二十多年。