1) The Intermediate Course on Buddhism will end on 24 October 2014. The session this Friday (17 Oct) will be conducted by Bro Charlie Chia and the topic is “Living Harmoniously with Nature”. On next Friday (24 Oct), Bro Charlie Chia will cover the topic on “Perfect Mind for Perfect Health”.
2) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on Sunday, 26th October 2014. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season). The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (25th October 2014) with Taking The Three Refuges Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits. On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
3) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, the 1st Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
4) This year’s Educare Program in SJBA will be held on 14th December 2014. It will be the 8th anniversary of the Program in SJBA. For the last 7 years, we have been providing needy students with school items to start the new school term. It is expected that about 500 to 600 needy students will receive the school items this year. Each student will receive a full set of school items which consists of school bags, shoes, books, stationary, etc. which costs about RM100.00. The amount may not be a lot but it is a simple yet significant gesture of ours to show our care and concern to poor students. We hope that through this simple but sincere gesture, the students are motivated to study better and achieve academic success and eventually success in life. This noble task can be achieved with the continuous support of generous Donors. If you wish to contribute this year to the Educare Program to support the needy students, please contact Sis Lily at Tel. 03-56315299.
5) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat at SJBA will be from 12th December 2013 to 22nd December 2014. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre. If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
6) This Sunday’s (19/10/14, 10.00am) Dhamma Talk “Lotus like Lay Buddhist” will be given by Mrs Wang. Mrs Wang is a SJBA Exco member and the Principal of SJBA Sunday Dhamma School since 1990. Mrs Wang was previously the Principal of SMK Seafield before her retirement.
7) This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “Significance of Kathina” by Sis Lim Chye Hong. Sis Lim Chye Hong is a member of the SJBA Dhamma Committee. She helps regularly in meditation retreats. She has been a Secondary School teacher for over 20 years. 这个星期日的讲题是” 卡地那的意义”, 讲师是彩虹居士. 自2002年以来，彩虹居士是我们首邦再也佛教会 佛法委会小组成员。一直以来，本会 所举办的禅修营，她都在出力帮忙， 负责厨房和修禅者所需。她也是一位中学老师，已经职教了二十多年。