1) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 19 September to 24 October 2014. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. The session this Friday (26 Sep) will be conducted by Sis Kah Yein and the topic is “Brahmas of My Heart, Apple of My Eye”. On next Friday (3 Oct), the topic is “Beginning & Ending of the Worlds” by Uncle Vijaya.
2) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on Sunday, 26th October 2014. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season).
The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (25th October 2014) with Taking The Three Refuges & Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits.
On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
3) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, the 1st Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
4) This Sunday’s (28/9/14) Dhamma Talk in English (at 10am) is on “Buddhism & Psychology: Calming Mental Proliferation” which will explore the Teaching of the Buddha from a scientific perspective on how mental proliferation (thinking traps) arise, and what we can do to calm mental proliferation and find peace. Our Speaker, Bro. Billy Tan is a Professional Trainer and Business Development Consultant who has trained countless corporate executives and business professionals in more than 20 countries over the past three decades. Bro. Billy is a Certified Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), as well as being certified by the International Association of Counselors and Therapists, USA, in Clinical Hypnotherapy. In recent years Bro. Billy has conducted several professional training programs for resident and visiting Monks at the Buddhist Maha Vihara, Brickfields, in the areas of Emotional Intelligence, Communication, Professional Presentation, Public Relations, Community Services, Leadership, and Management. In sharing the Dhamma, Bro. Billy researches discoveries from the fields of Neuroscience and Psychology to present teachings of the Buddha from a scientific perspective.
5) This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.45am) is on “Meeting With the Dhamma” by Ven. Dhammapala. Ven. Dhammapala graduated in Pali and Buddhist Studies from the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka and received his Doctorate from the University of Hong Kong He has been lecturing in the University of Hong Kong and has presented a number of papers. He is currently the Spritual Director of Buddhistdoor. Vice Chairman of the Hong Kong University Centre of Buddhist Studies Alumini Association and Director of a few Buddhist-based organisations. 这个星期日的讲题是与佛法相会, 讲师是法护法师.法师毕业于斯里兰卡的Kelaniya大学，专注于巴利文和佛教研究。法师也在香港大学获得了博士学位，也在香港大学当过讲师，并呈列了一些论文。他目前是 “Buddhistdoor” 佛门的精神理事。是香港大学， 佛学校友会中心的副主席。也是其他以佛教为基础的组织的理事主任).