1) This year’s Wesak day falls on 13th May 2014. Our Wesak Celebration will start on Wesak Eve, 12th May with lighting of Blessings Oil Lamps at 7.30pm followed by Wesak Eve Buddha Puja, Dhamma Talk, Procession Round the Vihara and Bodhi Tree, Chanting and Meditation. On Wesak Day, Puja Service will commence at 8.00am followed by the official launching of the Wesak Day Celebration at 9.45am. Blessings Service will be carried by the Maha Sangha. From 11.00am to 2.00pm, vegetarian food will be provided. There will be a Blood Donation & Organ Pledge Campaign and Free Health Check. We need around 200 volunteer helpers to help organize all these activities. Please register yourselves by writing your name at our Notice Board or call Sis. Lily at Tel. 03-56315299.
2) SJBA is planning a 3-day 2-night Retreat conducted by Ven. Nyanaramsi in Cameron Highlands (Sam Poh Temple, Binchang) from 16 May to 18 May, 2014. The expected cost for the bus transport and food is RM150 per person. The temple allow us to stay for free but we suggest to make individual donations. Please register with Sis Lily at tel. 03-56348181 on a first come first serve basis, up to 40 participants only. Ven. Nyanaramsi was an accountant in Malaysia before he was ordained in 1995 at the Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre in Yangon, Myanmar with Venerable Chanmyay Yeiktha Sayadaw U Janakabhivamsa as his preceptor. He had also studied the Dhamma and meditation under Sayadaw U Indaka and other Sayadaws in Myanmar. Ven Nyanaramsi spent 9 vassas in Myanmar before he accepted an invitation from SJBA to come back to Malaysia in 2003 to teach the Dhamma and meditation to Malaysian Buddhists. Ven Nyanaramsi is now the Abbot of Subang Jaya Vihara He travels frequently to Taiwan, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia to conduct meditation retreats.
3) SJBA is organising an Introduction to Meditation Course conducted by Ven. Nyanaramsi from 22 May to 8 Jun 2014, 8.30pm to 10.30pm (first day, 22 May, is for orientation, followed by 6 lessons) and then followed by a short Meditation Retreat from 6 Jun to 8 Jun 2014. If you wish to register for the Course or join the Rereat as a yogi, helper or sponsor, please inform Sis. Lily at 03-56348181.
4) This morning’s (20 April 2014, 11.20am) Mandarin Dhamma Talk is on “Meeting the Dhamma” by Ven. Dhammapala. Ven. Dhammapala graduated in Pali and Buddhist Studies from the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka and received his Doctorate from the University of Hong Kong. He has been lecturing in the University of Hong Kong and has presented a number of papers. He is currently the Spritual Director of Buddhistdoor. Vice Chairman of the Hong Kong University Centre of Buddhist Studies Alumini Association and Director of a few Buddhist-based organisations.
5) This morning’s (20 April 2014, 10am) Dhamma Talk in English is on “Finding Happiness in an Unhappy World” by Ven Kumara. Ven Kumāra Bhikkhu was ordained in 1999 at the age of 27 by Sayadaw U Revata at Subang Jaya Buddhist Association (SJBA). Presently, he resides in Sāsanārakkha Buddhist Sanctuary where he studies under the guidance of Ven Aggacitta Bhikkhu and acts as his personal assistant. The venerable graduated with a degree in education from the University of Malaya, which was where he became enthusiastic with the Buddha’s teachings. He was active in the Buddhist society there. During his working life, he also became active in Buddhist Maha Vihara’s Sunday Dhamma School, SJBA and Buddhist Wisdom Centre. Since then, he has often been invited to share the Dhamma in English and Chinese to adults, teenagers and young children. Being a truth-seeker, Ven Kumāra enjoys exploring a wide field of knowledge, including those beyond orthodoxy. Besides learning and practicing the DhammaVinaya, he enjoys spontaneous qigong and helping others to release their sufferings and therefore gain happiness May You Be Well & Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
17th April 2014
“SJBA – Your Friendly and Caring Dhamma Centre”