1. SJBA is celebrating our country’s 58th Merdeka Day on Monday, 31 August 2015 (Monday), The Celebration will start with a Merdeka Breakfast at 7.45am, followed by Flag Raising Ceremony, Blessings by the Venerable Monks, cutting of Merdeka cake and fellowship. Members and devotees are invited to join us for the Celebration.
In conjunction with the 58th Merdeka Day Celebration and to encourage our members’ children to strive for excellence in their academic performance, SJBA will present Academic Excellence Awards to students who excelled in their examinations in 2014.
On the same day, SJBA is also organizing a Blessings Service for students sitting for UPSR, PT3, SPM, STPM, etc. examinations this year. The Blessings will be conducted by the Venerable Sangha Members.
2. SJBA Youth Section is opening a booth on 31 August 2015, 9am – 12pm for registration for its Temple Building Fund-Raising “Lose to win” Campaign. This is a 2-months fitness campaign that offers an unique way to lose weight whilst raising funds. Upon signing up, the participants will have to come to SJBA on 31st August 10 a.m. to weigh in and record their details. Throughout the campaign, the participants are to do their best to lose weight and finally asked to weigh in again at the end of the program. The weight difference between the start and the end of the program will be converted into donation by the friends of the participants as pledged during the sign up period. For more details, visit our website at http://losetowinsjbays.weebly.com/ or contact Guan at 012-2847300.
3. To-date SJBA have received donations of about RM 3 million for its Building Extension. The cost of construction of the new building is RM5 million. We look forward for more help to raise the balance in order for us to successfully complete the construction of the new building by June 2016.
4. Amongst various ways to raise funds for the construction of the new block, SJBA has an on-going “Donate a Brick” campaign. Each brick is RM100. The donors can write their name and sign on the bricks which will be used for the construction of the new block. For further information, please call Sis Lily at 03-56348181.
5. This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk is on ” Peta’s, Spirits & Compassion” by Bro Wong Mun Yee. Bro. Mun Yee began learning Buddhism during his secondary school days at St John’s Institution’s Buddhist Society in Kuala Lumpur. He participated actively in Buddhist youth camps and was involved as a core member of Dhammaduta Youth (D2Y). He graduated from Charles Sturt University, Australia and established the Mitchell Buddhist Group whilst in university. He is a representative of Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary, former Deputy President of Buddhist Gem Fellowship and former Assistant Secretary General of World Fellowship of Buddhist Youth (WFBY) for Buddhist Education. He continues to share Dhamma with young adults in local camps, schools, colleges and universities such as UCSI, MMU, IMU, Sunway & Monash. He’s currently a Project Manager for an organization and continues to pursue his interest as principal and designer at Flora Mandarava.