1) SJBA is celebrating the country’s 57th Merdeka Day next Sunday, 31st August 2014. The Celebration will start with a Merdeka Breakfast at 7.45am, followed by Flag Raising Ceremony, Blessings by the Venerable Monks, cutting of Merdeka cake and fellowship. Members and devotees are invited to join us for the Celebration. To encourage our members’ children to strive for excellence in their academic performance, SJBA will present Academic Excellence Awards to students who excelled in their examinations in 2013. The Awards will be given out on Merdeka Day, 31st August 2014. On the same day, SJBA is also organizing a Blessings Service for students sitting for UPSR, PMR, SPM, STPM, etc. examinations this year. The Blessings will be conducted by the Venerable Sangha Members.
2) SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk “The Importance of Practising Daily Meditation” by Sayalay Susila, on 30 Aug 2014, Saturday, 8.30pm to 10pm. Sayalay Susila, a Malaysian, was ordained in 1991. She has practiced meditation intensively, under the guidance of various famous meditation teachers like Sayadaw U Pandita, Pa Auk Sayadaw, etc. She has also learned the Abhidhamma, ancient discourses and the Pali language from Pa Auk Sayadaw. Sayadaw Susila travelled extensively to teach meditation, the Abhidhamma and Sutta expositions.
3) In conjunction with the Mid-Autumn Festival, SJBA is organizing a Mooncake Family Night on Saturday, 6th September 2014. It will be a fun-filled night to celebrate with your family, especially so if you have young children as SNOWBALL THE CLOWN is around to entertain you with magic show and ventriloquism with his puppets. And in line with SJBA’s effort in promoting a caring and compassionate community, we are inviting underprivileged children from Ti-Ratana Welfare Society to join us in our celebration. These 40 underprivileged children have provided us with a wish-list. So all members and devotees who want to fulfill their dream, please contact Sis Lily at 03-56348181 / 56315299 for the items they have wished for. Last but not least, remember to bring your lantern along for the traditional lantern procession round the temple to end the night. DINNER WILL BE
SERVED, however we encourage you to bring some desserts to share with everyone. So please bring your family and friends along to SJBA on Saturday, 6th September 2014 to join us in our fun-filled celebration.
4) SJBA is organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 19 September to 24 October 2014. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Cindy at 03-56348181 for further details.
5) In conjunction with the 3-month Vassa, Venerable Dhammapala will be conducting a Pali Sutta learning and Chanting in Pali & English on Tuesdays (except 12 Aug and 16 Sep) until 7 October 2014, 8.30pm to 10.00pm. All are welcome.
6) The Metta Class in Mandarin conducted by Ven. Dhammapala will be on every Friday, 8pm to 10pm.
7) SJBA is hosting a Dhamma Talk in Mandarin by Bro Leong Kok Hing related to Buddhist Stamps, on 21 Sept, 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Bro Leong has previously served as the President and Secretary of YBAM for 16 years. He has held many portfolios in Buddhist societies such as the Chief Editor of Buddhist Digest, the Assistant Secretary of World Fellowship of Buddhist Youth, Fo Guang International Youth Director, Vice Principal of International Buddhist College and etc. At present, he is managing General Affairs of International Buddhist College and Phor Tay Chinese Secondary School in Penang. He was conferred with the Excellent Youth Award and Youth Leader Award from the Ministry of Youth. He has been collecting stamps which has Buddhist themes for 30 years. In the eighties, his stamps have been displayed in some major Buddhist exhibitions in Penang and Kuala Lumpur with “Buddhist Travel”as its theme. He was also invited for his solo in 1990, 1992 in Fo Guang Temple at Singapore and Taiwan.
8) SJBA is sponsoring Ven. Punnavisuddhi to study his Degree & Masters in Pali at a University in Sri Lanka, RM7,000 per year for 5 years for a total of
RM35,000. If you wish to partake in this dana to sponsor Ven. Punnavisuddhi in furthering his study, please contact Sis Lily at 03-56348181.
9) Subang Jaya Buddhist Association is co-organising with the Bodhinyana International Foundation, Australia and the Centre of Mindfulness Limited, Hong Kong, the 1st Buddhist Nuns’ Novitiate Programme in the Theravada Tradition on 7–16 November 2014, under the guidance of Bhikkhuni Hasapanna, Venerable Dhammapala with Ajahn Brahm as the Spiritual Director. This Program will be sponsored by SJBA and the Hong Kong Society of Dhamma Supporters but donations towards the costs of running this Novitiate Programme will be most appreciated. Please visit SJBA website or Facebook (as below) for further information and downloading of application forms.
10) Today’s (24/8/14, Sunday) Dhamma Talk in Mandarin (at 11.30am) is on “Meeting With the Dhamma” by Ven. Dhammapala. Ven. Dhammapala graduated in Pali and Buddhist Studies from the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka and received his Doctorate from the University of Hong Kong. He has been lecturing in the University of Hong Kong and has presented a number of papers. He is currently the Spritual Director of Buddhistdoor. Vice Chairman of the Hong Kong University Centre of Buddhist Studies Alumini Association and Director of a few Buddhist-based organisations. 今天 (24/8/14, 11.30am) 的讲题是与佛法相会, 讲师是法护法师. 法师毕业于斯里兰卡的Kelaniya大学，专注于巴利文和佛教研究。法师也在香港大学获得了博士学位，也在香港大学当过讲师，并呈列了一些论文。他目前是 “Buddhistdoor” 佛门的精神理事。是香港大学， 佛学校友会中心的副主席。也是其他以佛教为基础的组织的理事主任
11) This morning’s (17/8/14, 10.00am) Dhamma Talk in English is on “Looking Deeper into the Kalama Sutta (Buddhist Charter of Free Inquiry) by Dr. Chan Kah Yein. Sis Kah Yein holds a PhD in Mathematics Education. She is the founder of AnimalCare, a charity which provides neutering and vaccination subsidies for street animals. To date, she has written 8 books for
free distribution. Kah Yein believes in embracing simplicity and traveling light in life.