1) SJBA is organizing the Introduction to Buddhism course from 6 March to 24 April 2015. The course will run for 8 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm, conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Dr. Chan Kah Yein and Datuk Charlie Chia. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Lily at 03-56348181 for further details. For this Friday (3 April), the topic is “The Truth about Life” by Dr. Chan Kah Yein. On next Friday (10 April 2015), the topic is “Highway to Happiness” by Uncle Vijaya.
2) SJBA’s building extension (a new 4-storey block with basement) has officially commenced works on 8 March 2015. Amongst various ways to raise funds for the construction of the new block, SJBA has an on-going “Donate a Brick” campaign. Each brick is RM100. The donors can write their name and sign on the bricks which will be used for the construction of the new block. For further information, please call Sis Lily at 01-56348181.
3) Another Temple Building Extension Fund Raising effort is through “Imee Ooi Concert – Sound of Wisdom” on 1 August 2015, Saturday, 3.00pm at Istana Budaya. Sis Imee Ooi of “The Chant of Metta” fame as well as many other highly-praised musical works will be making a live appearance in her debut concert. A teacher, composer, producer, director and singer, Imee is serving the Dhamma with her extraordinary talent and voice. She is a Buddhist practitioner that adheres to the teachings of loving kindness, peace and harmony. Founder of IMM Musicworks in 1997, she has released more than 50 albums and has produced many musical works for many Buddhist societies and organizations. Her mission is in singing messages of peace, harmony and compassion or simply bringing healing sounds to her listeners through music. Tickets are now available in SJBA (at RM100, RM150, RM200, RM250 and RM350). You can now have the opportunity to support the development of local Buddhist musical talents and performance arts as well as contributing to the building extension of SJBA Vihara.
4) In conjunction with Qing Ming, SJBA is organising a Pattidana on 12 April 2015, Sunday, 8am to 11am to dedicate merits to the departed ones. Pattidana is for the benefit of those departed relatives and friends who may have been reborn in certain unfortunate state of existence. When they are aware that their relatives or friends have performed some meritorious deeds dedicated to them, they can be relieved of their suffering. When they rejoice repeatedly, their unhappy birth will be transformed to a happy one. It is the duty of relatives to perform these acts of merits for the departed ones. The Pattidana will start with the offering of flowers and lights at 8am, Metta Recitation, Buddha Puja, Dhamma Talk by Bhante Nyanaramsi, Dedication of Merits to Departed Ones.
5) SJBA Abbot, Venerable Nyanaramsi will be conducting a Meditation Reteat in Cameron Highland as follows:
Date: 8th to 10th May 2015 (Friday to Sunday)
Venue: San Poh Temple, Brinchang, Cameron Highland
Lodging: At San Poh Temple, by donation
SJBA will charter a bus for this retreat. The bus will pick up yogis at SJBA on the 8 May, Friday, leaving SJBA 7.30am SHARP.
Yogis are required to observe the 9 precepts during this Retreat. Those unable to take 9 precepts are to inform the organiser in advance and make own arrangement for light dinner.
A contribution of RM150 per yogi is required to defray the running cost for meals, transportation & donation to the San Poh Temple for the usage of the premise. Individual donation to the temple is also welcome but optional.
For further information on the Retreat Program, Registration Form, etc. please contact Sis Lily at Tel. 03-56348181. Only 40 applicants (open first to the
participants of the last Cameron Highlands Retreat) will be accepted for this Retreat, first-come-first-serve basis.
6) Our Puja Session in Mandarin (11.30am-12.30pm) will be off until 19 April 2015.
7) This Sunday’s Dhamma Talk in English (5 April, 10.00am) will be given by Venerable Dhammapala. Venerable. Dhammapala graduated in Pali and Buddhist Studies from the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka and received his Doctorate from the University of Hong Kong He has been lecturing in the University of Hong Kong and has presented a number of papers. He is currently the Spritual Director of Buddhistdoor. Vice Chairman of the Hong Kong University Centre of Buddhist Studies Alumini Association and Director of a few Buddhist-based organisations.