1) SJBA is hosting a Musical Show on 16th November 2013 at the KL PAC, Sentul, to raise funds for our building extension. This delightful musical is produced by the famous Asia Musical Productions (the award-winning team of “Siddhartha The Musical” and “Princess Wen Cheng”) featuring some of the best talents in Malaysia’s arts and entertainment scene. Tickets are sold at RM120, RM180, RM250 and RM400. Sponsors of RM5,000 will be given a VVIP seat, a plaque and engraving of their names in the new building’s Donors Board. You may get the tickets at SJBA Office (please contact Sis Lily, 03-56315299 or Bro Lim Mong Seng, 012-2131686. For sponsorship, please contact Bro Peter Chew, 012-2259003.
2) The current series of Intermediate Course on Buddhism will end on 18 October 2013. The topic this Friday (18/10/13) is “One Mind Many Rebirths” by Bro Charlie Chia. (Note: Topic “Perfect Mind for Perfect Health” by Bro Charlie Chia on 11/10/13).
3) There will be an End of Vassa Chanting on 19th October 2013 (Saturday) at 7.30pm at SJBA Shrine Hall to commemorate the end of vassa, in preparation for the Kathina Ceremony. All are welcome to participate in the Chanting.
4) This year’s Kathina Ceremony will be held on Sunday, 27th October 2013. Kathina is a traditional Buddhist Ceremony started by the Buddha Himself for lay devotees to offer robes and other requisites to the Sangha at the end of Vassa (rainy season). The Ceremony will begin on Kathina Eve (26th October 2013) with Taking The Three Refuges & Five Precepts before the Sangha at 8.00pm followed by Paritta Chanting, Dhamma Talk, Blessings by the Sangha and Sharing of Merits. On Kathina Day, the Ceremony will commence at 8.15am with the Taking of the Three Refuges and Observance of the Five Precepts administered by the Sangha, Offering of Robes and other Requisites, Sharing of Merits and Lunch Dana. A blood donation campaign will also be held on this auspicious day. Please come and join us to perform these meritorious deeds together.
5) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat will be held at SJBA from 6th December 2013 to 15th December 2013. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre, and SJBA Abbot, Ven. Nyanaramsi.
Sayadaw U Sobhita has taught meditation in many places including the well-known Mahasi Meditation Centre in Burma. He has been an Assistant to the Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw (Sayadaw U Janakabhivamsa) since 1988. He travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia frequently to conduct meditation retreats.
Sayadaw U Rewata graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India for missionary works and teaching meditation. He has served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon and Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in SJBA to support its Dhamma missionary work.
Ven. Nyanramsi was an accountant before he was ordained in 1995 at Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre, Yangon with Chanmyay Sayadaw, Ven. U Jananakabhivamsa, as his preceptor. Ven. Nyanaramsi moved to Hmawbi branch in 1996 and continued his training under Chanmyay Myaing Sayadaw U Indaka (former abbot of Hmawbi Branch) and other resident Sayadaws. He spent 9 vassas in Myanmar. In late 2003, he accepted an invitation from SJBA to return to Malaysia to teach Dhamma and Satipatthana Meditation to Malaysian Buddhists. He is now the Chief Abbot of SJBA. He travels frequently to Thailand, Taiwan, Myanmar and Indonesia to conduct meditation retreats.
If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
6) Today’s Mandarin Dhamma Talk at 11.30am (13/10/13) will be by Sis Yee Yong. The topic is “Orientation of Life”. Sis Yee Yong is the ex-Chairperson of SJBA Youth Section and also the former Dhamma Department Head. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science, MBA, as well as a Master of Arts in Buddhist Studies. She gives Dhamma Talks regularly in both Mandarin and English. 7) This morning’s Dhamma Talk is given by Bro Tan Siang Chye, on “Problem of Evil”. Bro. Siang Chye graduated from Kent Institute, UK and with a Master degree from Massey University, New Zealand. He was a former Chairman of the Buddhist Missionary Youth Section and also the parent body, BMSM for one session. He is a striving meditator and has practised under several prominent meditation teachers locally and in New Zealand. Bro. Siang Chye is currently the Chairman of the Dhamma Committee of SJBA.
May You Be Well & Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
10th October 2013
“SJBA – Your Friendly and Caring Dhamma Centre”