1) SJBA new course on “What Buddhists Believe” will be on every Friday, 8.30pm until 23rd Aug 2013 at our Shrine Hall. This Course covers the Fundamental Concepts of Buddhism. The Course will be off during the Hari Raya Holidays and will resume on 16th Aug 2013 on “The Three Refuges and Buddhist Texts” by Bro Ananda Fong. (Note: Topic on 2/8/13 is “More Happiness Secrets by Bro Ananda)
2) In conjunction with the 7th Lunar Month, SJBA is organising a Pattidana (Dedication of Merits) Ceremony on 18th August 2013 for the departed ones. When those departed relatives and friends, who may been reborn in certain unfortunate state of existence, become aware that their departed relatives performing meritorious deeds dedicated to them, they can feel relief. If they rejoice repeatedly, their unhappy birth can be transformed into a happy one. It is the duty of relatives to perform acts of merits for the departed ones. The program will start at 8.00am with the offering of flowers, candles and pure water, followed by Pindahcara, chanting, Dhamma Talk, offering of requisites, dedication of merits to the departed ones and followed by Blessings by the Sangha and lunch dana. All are welcome to partake in this Pattidana.
3) SJBA is celebrating our country’s 56th Merdeka Day on 31st August 2013 (Saturday), The Celebration will start with a Merdeka Breakfast at 7.45am, followed by Flag Raising Ceremony, Blessings by the Venerable Monks, cutting of Merdeka cake and fellowship. Members and devotees are invited to join us for the Celebration. To encourage our members’ children to strive for excellence in their academic performance, SJBA will present Academic Excellence Awards to students who excelled in their examinations in 2012. The Awards will be given out on Merdeka Day, 31st August 2013. For more information, please call Sis. Lily at tel. 03-56315299;
On the same day, SJBA is also organizing a Blessings Service for students sitting for UPSR, PMR, SPM, STPM, etc. examinations this year. The Blessings will be conducted by the Venerable Sangha Members.
4) SJBA will be organising an Intermediate Course on Buddhism from 13 September to 18 October 2013. The course will run for 6 consecutive Fridays from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and will be conducted by Uncle Vijaya, Bro Charlie Chia and Dr Chan Kah Yein. The course will cover Buddhist views on contemporary issues and Buddhist living. All are welcome. Please contact Sis Cindy at 03-56348181 for further details.
5) This year’s Annual Vipassana Meditation Retreat will be held at SJBA from 6th December 2012 to 15th December 2013. The Retreat will be conducted by Venerable Sayadaw U Sobhita and Sayadaw U Rewata from Chanmyay Yeiktha Meditation Centre.
Sayadaw U Sobhita has taught meditation in many places including the well-known Mahasi Meditation Centre in Burma. He has been an Assistant to the Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw (Sayadaw U Janakabhivamsa) since 1988. He travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia frequently to conduct meditation retreats.
Sayadaw U Rewata graduated in 1980 with Bachelor of Science at the Rangoon University. He was ordained in 1983. He followed Pariyatti and Patipatti under the guidance of Most Venerable Chanmyay Sayadaw. He has travelled widely to many countries like Japan, USA, Canada, India for missionary works and teaching meditation. He served as the Abbot in Hmawbi, Yangon in 2004 to 2006, and Abbot of the Satipatthana Vipassana Association, Springfield, USA from 2008 to now. Sayadaw U Rewata is currently in SJBA to support its Dhamma missionary work.
If you wish to join in the retreat as yogi or wish to a helper or sponsor food for the monks and yogis, and other expenses during the Retreat, please contact our Office Administrator.
5) This morning’s Mandarin Dhamma Talk at 11.30am (4/8/13) will be given by Sis Yee Yean. Please invite your Mandarin speaking relatives and friends to join us. The gift of the Dhamma is the highest gift.
6) This morning, Ven Sayadaw U Rewata will lead us in chanting and meditation with a short Dhamma Talk.
May You Be Well & Happy, Always!
Happily we serve,
1st August 2013
“SJBA – Your Friendly and Caring Dhamma Centre”